Even Empress Maria Theresia and Napoleon were impressed by this abundant building. Since 1981 the former Prince Bishop’s Residence of Würzburg is a part of the UNESCO world cultural heritage. Because of the congenial interaction of the famous architect Balthasar Neumann, the Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo and the stucco plasterer Antonio Bossi, the residence is known as the “most consistent and extraordinary baroque palace of all”. Especially Neumann’s well-known staircase and Tiepolo’s world’s largest cohesive fresco with an area of 677 square metres is impressing. Another glamorous highlight is the restored mirror cabinet, which was destroyed in World War II.
The Marienberg Fortress was the domicile of Würzburg’s first Prince Bishops and the prison of the last Franconian witch. Build in 1200, rebuild and extended since the 18thcentury it overlooks the city. Nowadays visitors can have a look inside the middle tower, the Riemenschneider dungeon, the well house and St. Mary’s church. Especially History fans will enjoy the “Fürstenbaumuseum” (Princely Quarters Museum) and the “Mainfrankenmuseum” (Main Franconian Museum). A walk through the romantic vineyards will reward with a sublime view over the episcopal city with its numerous churches.
The split-level way of Stations to the Chapel of Grace is the biggest of its kind in Germany and despite its about 250 steps absolutely worth seeing. Sideways sycamore trees provide comforting shade especially on hot summer days. The pilgrimage church of the visitation of Mary, also known as “Käppele” was built around 1750 by Balthasar Neumann. It qualifies as a masterwork of the late baroque sacred architecture and was mostly spared from the bombardment at the 16. March 1945. Nowadays still a lot of couples tie the knot in this wonderful atmosphere.
There is no better place to recognize the whole splendour and the vibrate life of Würzburg than the old Mainbridge. Already in 1120 the probably first stone bridge of Germany emerged at this place and had to be renewed after its destruction in the 15th century. During the baroque era the 12 statues were added, among these Kilian, the patron saint of Würzburg, and Franconian emperor Charlemagne. A panorama includes the Fortress Marienberg, the “Käppele”, the popular vineyard “Am Stein”and the shopping street called “Domstraße”. The latter leads to the facade of the fourth biggest romantic church of Germany: the cathedral of St. Kilian.
In late middle ages it was the abode of the cathedrals priest, later an inn, a concert- and dancing hall: The “Haus zum Falken”, next to the chapel of Mary at the marketplace, looks back on a long and diversified history. The ornate rococo facade was ordered by the widow of the innkeeper Meißner in 1751, which is now Würzburg’s most beautiful mansion. This innovation was rewarded with ten years tax exemption by the prince-bishop. Almost completely gutted in World War II, the building was reconstructed by the help of pictures and today accommodates the public library and the tourist information.